Thursday, January 5, 2012

Black, White and Tan

Yesterday evening, after driving a long distance, I stopped at a gas station to fill up.  I noticed a young dog wandering aimlessly with his nose constantly to the ground.  He was a light tan color.  

Just then, a  van pulled up next to me and an older black man got out.  I continued to fill my gas tank and then watched as he purposely walked toward the little animal and emptied something onto the ground.  

The little dog  immediately made his way over to the man.  Then the gentleman turned and started walking back toward his van.  As he passed near I said to him, "that was a nice thing to do."  His response, "I knew the little fella was hungry."

I immediately remembered the remnants of afternoon's lunch still reposing nicely in my trunk.  It was a  styrofoam container full of rib bones and some rice pilaf.  

I finished filling my gas tank and walked around to open up my trunk.  I pulled out the container and walked toward the little dog.  He didn't run but stayed put, his tail wagging happily as he hungrily gulped down the meal.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this caught on?  Something so simple, so profound, so full of love, one of those random acts of kindness we hear about but this time directed toward a helpless animal.

Aren't we helpless animals, in one way or the other, at some time in our lives?

As I was pulling away from the station I waved at the old gentleman and he waved back.  

I was thinking...two total strangers connected together that day through an act of love and kindness, and all because of a little dog who had lost its way.




No comments: