Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ball Lightning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

Watch video

---
soule:  No one would ever give this subject a second thought unless, of course, they happened to have an encounter with this phenomenon.

It was November 15, 2011 and I was on my way home from town.  It had been lightning and thundering all morning but no big deal.

As I turned onto the highway and was approximately 250 feet away from where I had just turned onto the road, there was a terrible crack of thunder along with a lightning strike.

I still can't determine if I heard the thunder first or saw the lightning or both at the same time.

I tensed up, gripped the steering wheel and put my head down expecting the car to be hit.  Instead the energy burst right alongside the road.

At that fraction of a moment, a red orb appeared in front of my window so that I was looking through it as I continued to drive.  This image only lasted a short time I'd say, maybe three seconds and then it was gone.

There was a car following me and it would have been hard for them not to have witnessed me crouching down in anticipation of the lightning strike.  And they certainly heard the thunder clap.

Yet, no one stopped and I kept on driving.

So I'm now one of the lucky ones who actually had an encounter with this and lived.

It is thought to be some type of plasma energy and the scientists believe its temperature is 10,000 degrees fahrenheit.

Ball lightning has been known to cause damage to buildings, etc. and even death to people.

I have noticed that since this happened, my hearing is much more acute than it ever was.

The color of this thing was red, like a tomato, with small streaks of yellow.

If anyone has had a similar experience, let me know.





No comments: