Tuesday, March 1, 2011

POLITICO: Eric Holder: Black Panther case focus demeans 'my people' - Josh Gerstein - Eric Holder: Black Panther case focus demeans 'my people'

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0311/Eric_Holder_Black_Panther_case_focus_demeans_my_people.html
---
soule: And Justice For All? We need to move on. Individually as well as nationally. Mr. Holder is no exception. "Mr. Holder, we are not living in the sixties anymore. And the sixties had nothing to do with meriting out justice in this case". If I remember correctly, the Black Panthers were deliberately standing in the way of voters wishing to cast their ballot(s). They were there for the purpose of intimidating people who wished to do so. I thought this was a crime. What was the verdict by Mr. Holder's Justice Department as a result of their investigation? If my memory serves me well, didn't the Black Panthers just get a slap on the wrist? Correct me please if I am in error. If so, this question begs to be asked, "if this had been a conservative group or quite possibly a group of Democrats standing in the way of voters, would the result have been the same"? Would it have made a difference if the group was white or not? Mr. Holder's answer to the question asked by the Congressman was tainted by emotion and not one of setting aside any personal feelings and just plain doing his job. And what about the Black Panthers? Are they or are they not on the Department of Homeland Security's Terror Watch List?

No comments: