Friday, June 26, 2009

News "Worthy"

My cousin just emailed me regarding a fourth Navajo Code Talker (WWII) that has died within five weeks. My cousin was angry that the news media is focusing their attention solely on Michael Jackson's death. I agree with him. We all feel sadness at Mr. Jackson's passing and offer condolences to his family. But my cousin raises a good point. Why aren't we talking about this WWII soldier who was instrumental in breaking the Japanese secret code? And what about any suffering he endured? Apparently this man's life isn't important news to report, at least nationally. Oh, I get it. My parents generation, this man's generation, the one that saved our behinds and Europe's doesn't matter anymore. Is this because there is such a huge disconnect between what happened 60 years ago (WWII) and today? Because we are shown on television and the news the video "Thriller" but no one has a clue about American history? And then we have Farrah Fawcett who put up a valiant fight in her battle with cancer. My heart goes out to her family also. No one will ever ever know what this woman went through. How much she suffered. I can't go on. But what about this WWII veteran? Who has remembered him? FOX, CNN? MSNBC? ABC? CBS? Where are you? Can we at least consider for one moment what I am suggesting? I'm all for remembering folks. It's what we do. It's part of our grieving process. But let's not let the rest of our unsung "heroes" be forgotten. They deserve their moment in the news as much as the showiest Hollywood stars do. Maybe even more. And in the end, I believe that their star(s) will shine the brightest.

No comments: